1.5kg (3lb 5oz) potatoes
150 g (5oz) bacon
2 tbs oil (rapeseed or olive)
2 onions finely chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 tbs plain flour
3tbs heavy cream
1 tbs dried marjoram
salt and white and black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and grease pie dish or loaf tin.
2. Grate the potatoes as finely as you can. Wait a couple minutes until water appears on the surface of the dish and squeeze the excess water into a bowl. Then wait again until the potato starch will settle at the bottom of the water. Collect it and add to the grated potato mix.
3. Fry the bacon bits in a frying pan over medium heat until crisp and set aside. Add the oil to the frying pan and fry the onions for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to fry for 2-3 minutes. Allow both to cool before adding to the grated potato.
4. Beat the egg whites until soft and fluffy. Then add the egg yolks and beat together until combined. Stir the eggs into the grated potato mixture, then add flour and cream.
5. Add the marjoram and season the mixture with a large pinch of salt and pepper. If you were to make this a vegetarian version with mushrooms, you may add some more salt.
6. Pour the mixture into the greased dish (the depth of the “babka” needs to be at least 3in) and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the “babka” is golden and crisp on the top.