(Old Polish Recipe)
1 rabbit quartered
100ml (1/2cup) white vine vinegar
1 tbsp caraway seeds
2 tbsp plain flour
rapeseed oil (or olive oil)
100g (31/2oz)pitted prunes
250ml (1cup) beer
2 tbsp sour cream
Salt, white pepper to taste
1. Soak the pieces of rabbit in warm, lightly salted water for 30 minutes.
2. Pat it dry and then massage in the caraway seeds and cover with the chopped onion. Wrap in a thin cotton towel soaked with wine vinegar and place the meat in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours (overnight if possible).
3. Unwrap the pieces of meat, dust with the flour and fry them on both sides until browned.
4. Transfer all pieces to a casserole ,add halved prunes and beer and cook covered for about 1 hour in 300F. Make sure to turn them over few times while cooking and to season with salt and pepper about 15 minutes before end of cooking.
5. It’s good to remember to check the tenderness with the fork, if meat isn’t tender enough, you might cook just a little longer.
6. Remove meat from the casserole, cover it and let it cool a little (5-8minutes). Add sour cream to the casserole sauce and pour over rabbit.
Enjoy this holiday dish with potato, rice or bread dipped in delicious creamy sauce!